By: Ken Austin
In any small or large business there are instances where there are a lot of tasks that need to be accomplished. There are several instances where even a home based business will have a lot of customers who will come in at once.
Whether you are working for yourself, or are in charge of a smaller or larger company, there are some instances where your tasks will need delegation in order for them to be completed accurately and on time.
1. Time Management. There are several instances where delegating helps with time management. The first is if you are working long hours. It is best to allow another worker to do part of what you need to get done. Another instance with using effective time management is if something requires a short deadline. It is best not to take on too much work by yourself with a small amount of time to do it in. This usually causes a large amount of stress, and the project or task may not be completed efficiently and effectively.
2. Resources. There may be a task that needs to be done in which the person has a lot of expertise in doing. If this is the case, it is best to delegate them to do that task. This will not only help you in being able to accomplish other tasks, but it will allow that person to feel worthwhile in their efforts to work for you. Even if it is something simple, such as typing a letter, allowing someone else the opportunity to do work for you helps everyone in the long run.
3. Looking at Cost. If you are a single business or a smaller business, you may have to have outside help in order to delegate. This, however, may cost you extra money. At the same time, finding the right person to delegate may save you money in the long run. You will be able to get more done in a shorter amount of time, which may increase sales and allow more resources and products to be available.
At the same time, you may be able to use family or friends that would be willing to help if you are just starting. You can either barter or offer lower pay for those willing to support you. If you are working at a company where you need to hire someone for some tasks, but not all, you can always delegate by contract work, also known as a virtual assistant.
These types of workers are used to working for short amounts of time and can do the work that you don’t have the time for, but that will probably not be in demand for a long period of time. This will save you time and money by not having to hire someone for a longer amount of time.
4. Growing Businesses. If you are seeing a lot of demand for your business, it is likely that it will continue to grow and expand and more customers will begin to come in. If you are in the position where you are seeing this begin to happen, it is best to either delegate the work out or find another person to work with you for some pay. While you are in charge of the business, it is best to have some help so that you can meet the supply and demand of your company.
5. Personal Freedom. If you have a family and are working long hours, it is best to prioritize how much time you need to spend in your career life as well as your personal life. While it saves money in the beginning to do all the work yourself, it is best to balance everything out and allow yourself the freedom that you need in order to maintain your family and personal needs as well. If you are spending a lot of time away from home, doing personal things that need to get done, then finding someone to do part of the work during the day is always a good option.
No matter what the needs and demands of your business or personal life are, it is always best to find the right time to delegate your business to people that are willing to help you and support you so that you can succeed. Delegating someone to do a certain task or tasks will help you in the long run both personally and with your business. Delegating may be what helps your business become a successful business.